I’m sure you’ve heard of the cliche phrase, “don’t sweat the small stuff”, well it’s true…don’t sweat the small stuff. How many times have you spent your morning, or worse entire day worrying about something that just doesn’t warrant using precious brain space? We’re all guilty of allowing fears, worries and anxieties consume our thoughts and ruin our day.
Here’s a list of things you need to stop worrying about, seriously just let it go!
1. You forgot someone’s name
No worries, it’s a common mistake and it’s going to happen at least a few times in your life, But if it happens to you often and you don’t want to keep worrying about it, here are a few tips:
• Say the name back to the person when you’re exchanging introductions.
• Exchange business cards or contact information via your smartphone.
• Actually look at them and take a mental picture of the face and name.
2. You left the house with a small stain on your shirt
Whether you have small kids who like to leave their breakfast on you or you were frazzled this morning and dropped your food, those stains are a pest. Here are a few tips to help you cover it up:
• Put your work badge over it, if appropriate.
• Use an earring as a pin.
• Act like you had no idea if someone draws attention to it, and thank them for letting you know!
3. One of your kids said “you’re the meanest or (fill in the blank)”
My response: “life is tough!” Seriously though, kids will be kids and life isn’t always peaches and cream for them. You’ll both get over it and it’ probably won’t be the only time you hear something come out of your kid’s mouth.
4. You passed gas
Last night’s dinner is repeating on you and you let a silent one slip, you know what I mean…passed gas! Worse, someone heard you. Truth is, everyone does it and as long as you say “excuse me”, no one will think anything more of it.
5. You sent out an email with a spelling error
It was probably a super important email because that always seems to happen. It’s not a huge deal in the long run (blame it on auto-correct?), but if you’re stressed — have someone else proof your work. A writers tip–read your email from bottom to top, sentence by sentence, you’ll probably pick up more than just your spelling errors.
6. Your work outfit is a bit wrinkled, okay A LOT wrinkled
Sure, you kind of look like you slept in your car, but unless you’ve got a really important meeting you’ll probably get on with your day just fine. If you need to fix those wrinkles, here are a few tips on the fly:
• Use a spray bottle: Hang the wrinkled item up in an open area. Standing approximately 12 inches away, lightly mist with water from a spray bottle. The wrinkles will start to vanish as the clothing item dries.
• Use the bathroom hand dryer to get the wrinkles out: Hang your wrinkled item, stand one to two inches away, and blow-dry it until the wrinkles disappear.
7. A pimple popped up and you think everyone will notice
I don’t know why we still get them as adults — it seems cruel, but it’s not a huge deal. Rock it with pride or use some clever tricks to divert the attention away from your skin issue. Here are a few tips:
• Dab a little toothpaste on it to let it dry out before you go to work.
• Use a little concealer or green corrector — yes guys can rock it too.
• Remember though — don’t pick at it because it will make it stand out more.
8. House isn’t clean for the cleaning service
Who cares! You’re paying someone else to clean it.
9. You left your bed unmade.
If you were in a hurry to get the kids to school or make your work meeting and you forgot, it’s not worth your energy to think about it. No one is going to know you left your bed in such a state of disarray.
10. Your children dressed themselves
… and the outfits are creative to put it nicely. They’re children their outfits are supposed to be crazy and fun! Plus anyone who judges you based on your children’s choice of clothing is not worth your time.
11. You sent a text to your friend, she doesn’t respond
You agonize over her receiving it or ignoring you. Simple solution: text again and include the line, “not sure if this went through earlier….”
12. The neighbors saw you in your pajamas
Unless your pajamas are au natural, it’s going to be just fine. I bet they wear pj’s too!
13. Sent a text to the wrong person
First, let’s hope it wasn’t a sultry text meant for your husband because that might be a bit embarrassing. But, think of it this way, I bet you’re not the only person who’s made that innocent mistake and just apologize for the mistake and move on. Or you’ve just met a stranger you didn’t know yet.
14. Left the house without brushing your teeth
It happens on those busy mornings and you’re probably going to obsess over it a little. Stop at the store and grab some mouthwash or a piece of gum and try not to make out with anyone until you can brush properly.
Photo credit: adapted from spaceodissey | Flickr