Confession: I don’t really care for sweet foods too much. I really have to be in the mood for chocolate, don’t care for sugary candies, and so dessert has never really been my thing. Being gluten-free as well as dairy-free, desserts that don’t take mountains of time to make can be hard to come by and on those rare days where dessert after dinner sounds too good to pass up, I turn to this recipe.
Apple pie has always been my favorite, but when I think about why — it’s always the filling that hooks me. This recipe is all the best parts of apple pie without the complication of making a gluten-free, dairy-free crust, and it takes a fraction of the time. You could literally eat this every night after dinner and never get sick of it. Mix it up by adding chopped pecans or whipped cream on top.
- 4 apples (can be gala, granny smith, or any other favorite); cut into large slices
- 1/2 cup white or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil OR dairy-free margarine
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar then add the apple slices and butter and stir together until the apples are well-coated
- Place in oven-safe baking dish and put in preheated oven for about 15 minutes until apples are soft, but not mushy.