When you’re running from place to place and don’t have a lot of time (or interest) in making a meal that’s going to take a lot of effort with complicated steps — you don’t have to skip on taste just because you’re busy. That’s why slow cookers are the best invention ever because you can have a meal that tastes like you slaved over the oven for hours without actually spending too much time engaged in cooking.
Slow cookers are great for when you want to eat an awesome meal, but either don’t have the time or it’s too hot to even think about having the oven on. I love stew when I don’t feel well or when I’ll be out of the house most of the day since it will be ready, hot, and waiting when I get home.
If you’re on the hunt for a beef stew recipe — look no further. This is gluten-free, dairy-free, and you can change up the vegetables to your preference (I hate celery so I don’t have it in the recipe, but you can put it in if you like them, ya know.)
- 2lbs beef stew chunks
- ¼ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free soy sauce
- ½ cup baby carrots
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, salt + pepper, and garlic
- Place cubed meat in slow cooker and sprinkle the flour+spice mix over top. Stir so the meat is well coated.
- Top with cut up vegetables, soy sauce, beef broth, and bay leaves
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 10 hours or HIGH for 4-6 hours.
- Scoop into serving dishes and top with chopped red pepper + chives