One of the traditional fun games kids play with both at home and in the school classroom is PlayDoh brand play-dough. It was a fun part of my childhood and there are so many fun sets to create new and entertaining sets for your toys.
Did you know that traditional store-bought play-dough usually contains gluten? If you’re on a gluten-free diet, you’ll need to make sure you stay away from those brands and we have just the thing for you!
Making your own gluten-free play-dough is not as hard as you would think and honestly it only takes a few simple steps and a little bit of your time for a big payoff! Your kids will be happy and you’ll have found the perfect activity to keep them entertained.
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of corn OR potato starch
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup of table salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl mix together all ingredients.
- Add to pot over medium heat and stir together until mix turns into a well-formed ball.
- Remove from heat (optional separate into sections and add a different food colour to each ball).
- Store in air tight containers when completely cooled.
Photo credit: image adapted from Jason Lander | Flickr